In 2019, new Standards and Guidelines for ECTE Accreditation and new Criteria and Procedures were presented to the ECTE General Assembly. These came into effect for all new ECTE accreditation activities since December 2019. This page publishes materials relative to pre-2019 accreditation standards and procedures useful for the transition stage.
- Starting from December 2019, all new accreditation will be in the post-2019 system.
- Accreditation that is in process as of December 2019 can choose, either to continue with pre-2019 or transition to post-2019. This applies mainly to institutions in the Candidacy phase. It is advised to opt for the post-2019 system.
- Existing accreditation as of December 2019 can transition at any time but must to so at the end of their 5 review cycle. Hence, all 5-year reviews due after December 2019 will fall into the post-2019 system (Cyclical Reviews).
- By 2024 at latest, all pre-2019 accreditation will be discontinued.
- The transition will take place through a Cyclical Review (see Criteria and Procedures for ECTE accreditation). Please use the
- For clarity’s sake, separate Directories will be held on the ECTE website.
The ECTE Manual (pre-2019)
All accreditation that is in process and/or existing as of December 2019, must continue to refer to the ECTE Manual, 6th Edition, 2018 for all accreditation standards and procedures.
The ECTE Manual – 6th Edition, 2018 is organized in six main parts. The first defines the Identity and the Mission of the ECTE which, in addition to its historic distinctiveness as an accreditation association, is evolving in its self-understanding as a network of European theological institutions. The second part is dedicated to Membership, and describes the standards and procedures for membership in the ECTE. The third part contains vital information about ECTE Accreditation, from procedures, stages and standards and guidelines in preparing a Self Evaluation Report. The fourth part groups together several important Appendices, the fifth part contains several Forms that will be needed in different stages and the last part contains Visitation Guidelines.
All accreditation that is in process and/or existing as of December 2019, must continue to use the following forms:
- ECTE Membership Application form (to be used by schools and associate organisations applying for membership)
- ECTE Annual Progress Report (APR) (to be used by accredited and candidate schools for annual reporting on programmes, for indicating changes and for requesting formal advice from the Accreditation Commission on prospected plans. This form is also used to report student numbers for invoicing purposes)
- ECTE School Review Form (to be used by VETs to report to the Accreditation Director on Candidacy and Accreditation visitations
- ECTE Visitation Evaluation Form(to be used by schools to evaluate VETs after reviews)
- ECTE Abbreviated Self Evaluation Report for Dual Accreditation (to be used by schools with other accreditation or validation requesting dual accreditation with the ECTE)
- ECTE Certificate Order Form (to be used by accredited schools to order certificates for graduates)