The ECTE is an agency that has demonstrated over time to have adequate and appropriate human resources to carry out its work. The ECTE Council operates on a volunteer basis, whereas staff and VET members are remunerated.
ECTE General Assembly
The European Council for Theological Education is an association governed by a General Assembly formed by all regular and associate members. Regular members have both voice and vote in the General Assembly and represent institutions of evangelical theological education operating formally at post-secondary or tertiary level. Associate membership are non-formal, non-tertiary providers of theological education, individuals and organizations that have vested interest in theological education. Associate members have a voice but no vote in the General Assembly. See more information in the ECTE Statutes and Bylaws.
The Governing Board is composed by the Chairman and Vice Chairman of the ECTE Council who are elected by the General Assembly and, according to §26 of BGB (Civil Law) of the FRG, they are the legal representatives of the association and legally accountable for all transactions. The Governing Board monitors compliance with regulations of legislator, assures the vision, mission, strategies and core values of the agency, leads in strategic planning and vision-casting, assures financial stewardship, prepares Council meetings and agenda (with GS) and chairs meetings assuring proper procedures, leads the staff, leads the General Assembly, relates outwards to stakeholders and establishes hew relationships.
The ECTE Council normally consists of nine members elected by the General Assembly which is to give due consideration to the various language areas of Europe. The following Qualifications for Board Members Policy indicate the necessary qualifications and commitments of ECTE Council members.
The Council decides on its by-laws according to which its business is conducted, and elections are held. The functions of the Council are:
- to represent the ECTE
- to appoint the General Secretary
- to nominate accrediting commissions as needed
- to provide advice to the General Secretary and the accrediting commissions,
- to decide on the admission of new member institutions
- to plan the ECTE general assembly and elections
- to handle the finances of the ECTE and to elect the Treasurer.
- the Council may appoint commissions as needed
The Council is composed by:
- Dr. Steffen Schulte, Chairman (Germany)
- Silke Brohl, Vice Chairman (Germany)
- Dr. Marcel Macelaru, voting member (Romania)
- Dr. Kulli Toniste, voting member (Estonia)
- Dr. Frank Hinkelmann, voting member (Austria)
- Dr Alexander Stavnichuk, Voting member (Germany)
- Irini Panteliou, student voting member (Greece)
- Dr. Marvin Oxenham, General Secretary, non-voting member (Italy)